Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Patience is a Virtue...The Terrible Threes



Are parenting experts actually… parents? Being one myself, I have a serious bone to pick with them: The “terrible twos” are crap.The "terrible threes" are more like it!

Charlie sat down at the dinner table and decided that clapping his hands would be a good thing to do to keep him busy until dinner was served. Well, this would not have been a problem except that his hand clapping involved arm movements slightly reminiscent of eagle's wings flapping. Needless to say, I asked him to stop and warned him that he might spill his milk if he continued. Next thing I know, he's is knocking his milk onto the floor...on purpose.

This is a common occurrence in our house, not the spilling milk, but the constant small battles of a three year old and his strong will! I remember thinking last year that we were so lucky and Charlie was a considerably well behaved two-year old, and that this 'terrible twos' thing wasn't so bad....then he turned THREE! Where did my angel go? And when did I become one of those parents??
Children at the pre-school stage are developing a host of new skills, including: wanting more independence (for example, ("No, I want to do it by myself!"); asserting
their wants ("I want that!"); and learning about friendship ("Give that back!").As well as throwing tantrums at the drop of a hat. My child...(being advanced I guess!)...has mastered all of these!
I love the articles I have read that your child needs your calm, warm presence and sense of humor to help bring them back into their bodies when they are out of control. They do not need sarcasm, judgment, guilt, bargaining, or separation to help them. When I read these things, I wonder if these people have kids?! While I agree with them on a certain level, a warm and calm presence is challenging to maintain when your child has just painted the walls or cut their hair or laid down in the middle of the Kroger parking lot throwing a tantrum!

Although, don't get me wrong, he can still be incredibly sweet, and has lots of days where the devil doesn't take over his body...
I love him more than I ever thought it possible to love anyone in my life. He brings more joy and love and happiness to everyday. And my heart melts with every hug, kiss and I love you. His silliness, laughter, funny little sayings and expressions are an endless source of delight!

I do cherish everyday, just not every moment!

Here are a few priceless "three year old" pics:


5 comments:

Stacey said...

This too shall pass. I feel your pain. I totally agree, though. It was not terrible two's with Nat and Nate either. It was Terrible Three's. That last picture of harlie says it all :)

Stacey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacey said...

Sorry, I had typos in the first comment! This too shall pass. I feel your pain. I totally agree, though. It was not terrible two's with Nat and Nate either. It was Terrible Three's. That last picture of Charlie says it all :)

Gail said...

Stace is right...this too shall pass...sometimes you just want to scream "change now!" The rest of the good stuff makes up for it...most of the time...lol

Judy (Mimi) Hayes said...

Those of us that have raised a few kids can remember thinking the same thing!...the terrible twos are nothing compared to the terrible threes...we loved you anyway!
As a parent, I always thought it's a good thing my kids weren't born wearing bad attitudes and tennis shoes because we'd have given them right back; but by now (when they're 2 or 3 or 18) we love them toooo much to do so!....and we love Charlie lots!!!