Monday, June 28, 2010

Thankfulness Journal

I have decided to blog today about being thankful.I'm not talking about being polite after someone's opened the door for you. I'm talking about feeling thankful for the true blessings in your life...the things that touch your core.Oprah talked about this concept a few years ago and she suggested having a thankfulness journal. This is a great idea because it keeps us focused on the positives in our lives.Especially on days we worry or question. It helps us see the great things we have and do, and puts our frustrations and worries into perspective. In addition to our prayer and song each night at bedtime, I have Charlie tell me his thankfuls. He loves telling me each day what he is thankful for! So why don't I do the same??

Imagine the person who is usually in a bad mood. They are always complaining about something, something is broken, their life is so busy, there is always someone who's done something to them and they're always getting the bum deal. This person is hard to be around and it takes a lot of energy to maintain a relationship with them.
On the other hand, think of someone else you know. This person is energetic, and has a certain spark to them. They laugh a lot and have a "can-do" attitude. And when you visit with this person, you feel energized, inspired and thankful to know them. It's safe to say that this person is more fulfilled in their life than the other one. And it is safe to say that this person is most likely more healthy to be around.

So it seems there is a measurable benefit to counting your blessings and looking on the bright side!

I’m referencing thankfulness for the little things...those times in the day where you just stop and think, “Hmmmm… I’m living a great life.” Sometimes we actually have to watch closely to catch those moments. Other times, those moments are highly noticeable; they jump right out at us! It’s important to express gratitude, so today I hope you’ll join me as I explore some of the things for which I am grateful. I am going to strive to list five each day. Don't worry...I wont be posting them everyday! But here are my five for today...

1. Thankful for Charlie and Ryan...my two favorite boys in this world. They bring me laughter and such joy. Their unconditional love is priceless, and I thank God everyday that I have them to share my life with.

2. Thankful for spending time with family. Nothing is more important to me than family. Having family around constantly is how I grew up and Charlie growing up around so many cousins and grandparents makes my heart happy.

3. Thankful for Hayesville. I love my house, and LOVE my neighbors. To say our street is nice is a total understatement. We all get together on almost a daily basis, take turns cooking dinner for each other, our kids ride bikes until dark, pool parties, and we have only been here a month!!! I could not have dreamed of a better place for our family.

4. Thankful for my job. Unfortunately having a good job is a luxury these days and I am thankful to be employed. I would love to stay home and play with my little monkey all day...but because that is not an option, I am thankful for the office of wonderful people that I work with.

5. Thankful for Music, for the little things, for creation, for the the good around me! OK...so that was a few things rolled into one...sorry, I am new at the thankfulness journal!

4 comments:

Stacey said...

And I am thankful to have the best Sister-in-law in the whole world!! :)

Ashley said...

awwww Stac, that made my day! I am thankful for you!

Judy (Mimi) Hayes said...

I am so thankful that you are able to recognize all the great things in your life! That is priceless!
...and like Stacey, I am thankful for YOU along with the rest of my precious family!
We are soooo lucky, aren't we? Sometimes we don't stop to think about how much! Thanks for pointing it out to me!

Gail said...

I, too, am thankful to have all of you in my life...to have all my family so close and dear. It is nice to be reminded on occasion to "count your blessings"